Saturday, April 5, 2008

Welcome to Mississippi

Yesterday was my first venture out...to set up electricity, water and cable. All morning the northern sky was black. Riley called to tell me there were tornado watches all around me, something I didn't know as we don't have any TV reception and don't think to listen to the radio. Anyway, I thought I'd run out 'real quick like' and get my errands done. Just as I turned out of my little subdivision, all "heck" broke loose. I saw the wind coming by watching a row a trees down the road I was traveling. The wind wasn't blowing in any one direction either...by the time I drove into it, the wind was swirling and things were flying. An electric transformer blew right in front of me and sparks went flying. Needless to say, I pulled off at the next driveway and turned back for home. I hadn't driven 2 miles when all this happened. On my way back, at a creeping pace (the rain was so fierce), branches went flying and pine cones were hitting the car like rocks...then it started to hail. Now I know, from the movies, that when there's hail and horizontal rain, there's a tornado! Well, it actually flew right over my head without touching down!! All I could think of were lines from the movie "Twister"..."we have hail, we have hail". A big ole pine tree fell alongside the road right next to me and stuff went all over. I turned into my subdivision and stepped on the gas. That's when I noticed the damaged homes. Luckily we don't have any trees around our home so all was well as far as that was concerned...no lost shingles even. The damage was just at the front of the subdivision and all along the road I was on...knocking down huge 100 year old trees down the way, closing down the road. Power is still out for many people north of us (people were talking about it in all the store lines this morning). All Ken said to me when he called me as he was evacuated into the storm shelter area at work was..."Welcome to Mississippi...you got a baptism by 'wind' today!"

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Aren't you glad you moved? What a welcome! T

Riley said...

I'm glad I gave you the heads up!