Friday, May 9, 2008

Canton Flea Market

There is a tradition among Mississippi women, that twice a year they flock to a little town north of Jackson to attend one of the south's largest flea markets. Hundreds of arts and craft vendors come from all over to sell their wares. It's a real big deal! For years I'd heard about the Canton Flea Market from my cousin Leigh. Yesterday I actually got to see it for myself! My sweet new neighbor invited me to go...otherwise I wouldn't have even known it was happening. Chelsey and Natalie came along as well. We had fun looking at all the crafts and trying to find that one item that we wanted to take home for ourselves. Chelsey found the perfect purse, Natalie the perfect ring and I found a pottery bowl. Among the thousands of people there, wandering around somewhere, was my cousin's wife, Kim...and guess who we ran into right at the beginning! Yep, Kim! That was a fun surprise. AND we ran into her AGAIN as we were headed to our car to go home...she was dropping off her second load with her friends before heading back for a third go 'round. She has stamina!! Canton has a traditional town square with old buildings and many homes dating back to the 1850's. I'm anxious to go back when the crowds are gone just to drive around and gawk at all the amazing homes and ancient trees.

No comments: